Top Banana Tips
HH Fitness recommends bananas as a top pre or post exercise snack. This handy fruit is packed full of goodness and provides a sustained energy supply. Helen eats a banana 30-60 minutes before training. Bananas are considered a “wonderfood” for their energy-giving properties, plus they contain a product called tryptophan, which the body converts to serotonin – a hormone that helps lift moods and promotes sleep.
If you’re board of just eating bananas on their own, slice them onto your breakfast cereal, or HH Fitness recommends the following recipe as a staple part of your diet:
Banana Cake – makes 12 slices
250ml (8 fl oz) orange juice
300g (10 oz) self-raising flour
125g (4 oz) brown sugar
Pinch of salt
½ tsp each of mixed spice and cinnamon (optional)
1 tbsp oil
- Mash up the bananas with the orange juice.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl.
- Add the banana juice mixture together with the egg and oil. Combine together to form a batter mixture.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled 900g (2 lb) loaf tin.
- Bake at 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 4 for about 1 hour. Check the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer or sharp knife into the centre. Tap the tin to loosen the cake and it should come out clean.
A special thanks from HH Fitness to Harrison Cook and technical fire safety officers at Avon Fire & Rescue Service.